I’ll Take Another, Please
Sometimes it’s nice to step into a New Year and say
“Lord, I’d enjoy another year like last year, if You don’t mind”.
If you’re on good terms with your Savior, “More of the same” can be a good request!
Here are several things that could give us reason to ask that of the Lord this January – how many of these are true of you?
- I noticed the way You love and provide for me often this last year, God. Thank you.
- Gratitude was evident in my outlook. There was always something I could thank You for, and I did.
- I talked to You about people more than I talked to people about people.
- I invested in my close friendships.
- I didn’t keep score this year. I’m so indebted to You, God, there’s no really no point to keeping score.
So I gave often, and I forgave often.
- When I stumbled and fell this year, I accepted your forgiveness right away, and the help of my Christian friends as I got back where I belong with You. It’s where I want live – on good terms with You.
- I read Your Letter to me — often.
- The people around me know how important You are to me, and I’m on the lookout for my next opportunities to tell them about You, in a way that will make them want to meet You.
- I leaned on You this year. When life’s winds brought trouble, I knew I was safe with You, and let you take the brunt of the storm. And when it passed, I felt your smile.
If some or all of these are true of 2012 you have nine great reasons to celebrate a good year, and ask for another like it. If not, you now have nine things you can weave into the fabric of this new year so next year you can say “More of the same, if You don’t mind.”
… train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. (1 Timothy 4.7-8)